RECOMMENDED AGE LEVEL
Recommended for all ages.
Welcoming Week 2020 is September 12 – 20 and features organizations and communities bringing together immigrants, refugees, and long-time residents to build strong connections and affirm the importance of welcoming and inclusive places in achieving collective prosperity.
At MCD, we recognize that all Americans (naturalized, native, or not) have some sort of story to tell about our own families’ immigration, culture, heritage, and history. From Native traditions to recipes from a distant homeland– this project will collect these stories in a virtual Culture Quilt, which will be displayed in perpetuity as a community gallery on the Museum of Craft and Design website.
A digital camera/phone camera
A computer and internet connection for submitting your project
PLUS whatever you like:
Pencils or pens for drawing
Magazines and old photos for collage
Yarn for weaving
Edible ingredients for a favorite dish
Family heirlooms to photograph
Traditional clothing for a portrait
- Think of your family, background, heritage, and culture.
- Choose one of the “story” prompts below:
- What dish or recipe symbolizes home, family, and culture to you? When do you eat it? Who is there with you as you imagine it?
- What is the story of your family’s journey to the United States? What did they bring with them, and what did they plan and dream of doing?
- What holiday is most meaningful to you and your family? What foods, lights, symbols, or traditions are part of it?
- Do any crafts, designs, or arts practices connect you to your heritage and family? Consider dance, music, and food in addition to visual arts.
- Who tells the most stories of your family? Which one is most important to you, and why?
- What clothing or wearable objects are part of your family story? Do patterns, jewelry, or shared style have significance in your culture and family?
- How and where have you and your family traveled to be where you are? Map the places you have been, detailing landmarks or means of transportation.
- Type up your story in 200 words or less.
- Create an illustration of your story in any medium you prefer.
- Submit your artwork to our online gallery here!