RECOMMENDED AGE LEVEL
Recommended for ages 5 and up with adult supervision.
Design by Distance, MCD’s virtual exhibition, features many forms of wearable art that create space between the wearer and others. Veronica Toppino’s somewhat translucent Structure Hat isn’t protective from the sun, but extends personal space in a fashionable style. With this sample as inspiration, design your own avant-garde chapeau. It’s also festival season, though live events are viewed from the home this summer. Consider festival costumes of the future, victorian details, and finery as you build your own hat!
Puffy materials like balloons or tissue paper
Cloth, tulle, or felt
Hot glue or tape
- Build from a wearable frame, though your hat may be nonfunctional. How could this avant-garde hat shape relate to your body?
- Consider how your hat will stay on. Will you use a pre-existing hat as your base, or can you use a headband, hair clips, elastic, or a chin tie?
- Begin adding the largest extenders, frame, or structure. Test out your hat as a wearable piece, or work on it as a conceptual project. Would you like it to extend out in all directions? Where would you be creating space?
- Add embellishments – be as excessive as you’d like! Arrange your embellishments ahead of time to decide on any patterns in advance. Test out hanging elements or lightweight objects that add volume.
- Find more avant garde inspiration on Pinterest.