June 10, 2015 – June 18, 2015
Join Museum of Craft and Design Director JoAnn Edwards and San Francisco Editor, Author, and Curator Zahid Sardar for an unforgettable visit to the Netherlands. Travel with us and discover New Dutch Design and Craft in all corners of this delightful country. This adventure will coincide with our exhibitionHands Off: New Dutch Design at the Confluence of Technology & Craft curated by Zahid Sardar.
We will begin our journey in Amsterdam and continue to Rotterdam, Utrecht, Groningen, Delft and Eindhoven where we will be hosted by a variety of design aficionados and artists who will offer their views on art, craft, history, architecture and design. We will meet many leading makers in their studios, and enjoy the company of students and professionals alike. We will visit private ateliers of craftspeople, dine in a 17th century canal house, and visit the famous Rijksmuseum.
This trip will offer insights into the egalitarian, joyful, quirky Dutch character that gave us such witty design groups as Droog (Dry wit), Moooi (beautiful) and designers such as Marcel Wanders and Gijs Bakker whose exhibition some of you may have experienced at Museum of Craft and Design in 2010.
Zahid is a well-known authority on design and the former design editor of the San Francisco Chronicle. He has formed many friendships among designers, craftspeople, museums, and academic institutions and will provide a unique insiders’ look at the Netherlands crafts and design scene.
Itinerary Highlights include:
- Visits to leading artists and craftspeople in their homes and studios.
- Thought provoking conversations with renowned design stars.
- Private receptions with Dutch personalities.
- Guided exploration of fascinating neighborhoods of Amsterdam.
- Four nights at the glamorous Amrath hotel, two nights in a former mid-century cruise ship now permanently docked in Rotterdam, and other elegant venues
- Visit to The Hague and cocktails at the home of Vicki and Piet de Klerk, Ambassador-at-Large at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Visit to the magical atelier of Claudy Jongstra, master weaver
- Evening at the Van Loon Museum, an exquisite, privately-owned canal mansion in Amsterdam
- An exclusive visit to the Kröller-Müller Museum outside Amsterdam with arts maven Suzanne
- Oxenaar whose father led the museum for three decades, whose uncle designed Dutch coins, and whose grandfather helped rescue Egypt’s Abu Simbel temple
$5,600 Double Occupancy*
$6,365 Single Occupancy*†
* International airfare not included
† Currently sold out. Please contact Zahid Sardar to be placed on the waitlist for this style of room
We ask for a $1,000 deposit to hold your place(s) to be received no later than February 2, 2015. Please note that space is limited and reservations will be held on a first-come, first-served basis. All remaining costs are due within three weeks of the sign-up date. After February 2 full costs are due at the time of sign-up. A 20% surcharge applies for anyone signing up less than 90 days before departure.
This is an exclusive benefit opportunity for Members and Donors $500 and up. To renew, upgrade, or join, please contact Sara Dermody first at email@example.com..
For a Dutch Delights sign-up form and all related questions, please contact Zahid Sardar at ZSAT firstname.lastname@example.org. When you return your completed form and deposit check to ZSAT, a spot will be reserved for you on the Dutch Delights trip and you will receive a detailed itinerary.